- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups of strained tomatoes or tomato sauce (in BPA free can or packaging)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large green cabbage (3.5 to 4 pounds)
- 1 container Better Bean, Rethought Red Beans
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (or millet)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh kale or spinach
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon dry dill
- Warm olive oil in pot, over medium-low heat. Saute the garlic then add remaining sauce ingredients (tomatoes through salt) and simmer for 10 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine beans, rice (or millet), onion, spinach and dill plus ¼ cup of the prepared tomato sauce
- Bring a large pot of water a boil. Separate 15 to 20 large cabbage leaves from the head, and place in boiling water. Boil until soft, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from water, and set aside to cool for approximately 5 minutes.
- Into the center of each leaf, place about 1/3 to ½ cup of the bean mixture. Fold in the sides, and roll up from the bottom.
- Place the cabbage rolls side by side in rows, seam-side down, in a 9X13 casserole pan. Spread sauce evenly over the top. Bake at 350º for 50-60 minutes. Serve hot and garnish with additional dill if desired.
Serving Size: Serving Size: 2 Cabbage Rolls Servings Per Recipe: 6
Nutrition Per Serving:
Nutrition Per Serving: Protein 10.7g (21%), Dietary Fiber 9.7g (39%), Calcium 98.7mg (10%), Folate 127.2mcg (31%), Omega-3 <0mg (<0%), Iron 4mg (22%)
Other information you may want to know:
Fat: 10.1g — Saturated (0.9g), Trans (0g), Cholesterol (0g)