For the Veggie Burger
- ¾ cup (156 g) uncooked farro
- 3 cups (711 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium vegetable broth base
- One tub of Tuscan White Beans
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (70 g) finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup (110 g) grated carrots (2 medium)
- ¼ cup (29 g) chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1/3 cup (52 g) uncooked old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup whole grain bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium herbal seasoning blend
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Ten 1½-ounce (43 g) whole grain buns
- 10 lettuce leaves
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced into 20 slices
- 2 avocados, sliced into 20 slices
Active preparation time: 29 minutes
Total preparation time: 2½ hours (including chilling times)
- Place the farro in a pot with the water and broth base. Stir well, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cook for 35 to 40 minutes, and drain any leftover liquid.
- Place the Tuscan White Beans in a mixing bowl. Mix in the cooked farro, onions, mushrooms, carrots, walnuts, oregano, chives, oats, bread crumbs, herbal seasoning, black pepper, turmeric, and sea salt, if desired. Chill for about 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Form patties out of ½ cup of the bean mixture with your hands, mashing the ingredients together so that they do not crumble. Carefully place 3 to 4 patties at a time into the hot oil and cook for 6 minutes on each side, turning carefully. Repeat, adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet with each batch of patties, until all the patties are done.
- Serve each patty with 1 bun, 1 lettuce leaf, 2 tomato slices, and 2 avocado slices.
Note: If you don’t want to serve all of the burgers at once, prepare and cook them according to the directions and refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet and serve as directed.
Variation: Substitute 2¼ cups cooked brown rice for the farro. This version is gluten-free (provided that you use gluten-free oats, bun, bread crumbs, and other ingredients).
Serving Size: Makes 10 servings (1 patty, bun, and lettuce leaf, and 2 tomato and avocado slices each)
Nutrition Per Serving:
Per Serving: 354 calories, 11 g protein, 50 g carbohydrate, 15 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 11 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 378 mg sodium
Star Nutrients: folate (18% DV), niacin (19% DV), pantothenic acid (11% DV), riboflavin (14% DV), thiamin (30% DV), vitamin A (53% DV), vitamin B6 (17% DV), vitamin C (17% DV),vitamin K (27% DV), copper (19% DV), iron (16% DV), magnesium (26% DV), manganese(84% DV), phosphorus (26% DV), potassium (18% DV), selenium (52% DV), zinc (17% DV)
No comments yet.